From online clothing lines to second hand bookstores, eCommerce brands can increase conversion rates with the help of automated marketing. This technology allows businesses to accomplish more in a shorter amount of time, increasing efficiency and effectiveness.
About 51% of today’s companies are already using automated marketing, meaning companies that have not adopted the latest software may already be falling behind.
This article will discuss some of the top automated marketing strategies for eCommerce companies to boost conversion rates.
What Is Automated Marketing?
Marketing automation is using software to automate routine tasks that are typically performed manually, such as sending emails, running display ads, conducting surveys and more.
Ultimately, all types of marketing automation provides consumers with content that boosts conversion rates and helps businesses better understand their potential customers.
Benefits of Automated Marketing
Along with increasing conversion rates, automated marketing offers a host of other benefits, including:
- Save time. Email is a great prospect and customer touchpoint. Instead of sending emails manually, marketing automation lets brands schedule emails in advance so drip campaigns are automatically hitting the target audience’s inbox.
- Increased personalization. Marketing automation also makes it easier to offer personalization, which is increasingly important to today’s consumers. Brands can segment their customers and then create messaging for each segment. Brands can further personalize by including a customer’s name in the email subject line and in the email itself.
- Optimized leads. Many eCommerce marketers are not making the most of the leads they work so hard to capture. Fortunately, marketing automation allows companies to get the most value from their leads by serving them consistent, relevant content that moves leads down the funnel and converts.
- Save money. Automated marketing tools are an upfront investment, but the returns can be exponential. By increasing conversions and overall revenue, automation tools quickly pay for themselves and save brands money over time.
How Does Automated Marketing Work?
From email marketing to lead scoring, there are countless ways to adopt automated marketing strategies for an eCommerce business.
No matter which approach is applied, here are the four steps to any type of marketing automation:
- Set up a trigger, which is a customer action that kicks off the automation series.
- Dictate a delay, or the timing between when the trigger is initiated and when the next action takes place.
- Set conditions — the rules the workflow must follow.
- Execute the final action, which is determined by delay and conditions.
Automation software allows eCommerce brands to easily adopt marketing automation workflows.
Top Automated Marketing Strategies to Boost Conversions
An impressive 77% of marketing automation users experience an increase in conversions, and 80% experience an increase in leads. Clearly, the tool offers tangible ROI for eCommerce brands. Let’s take a look at some of the top automated marketing strategies for eCommerce.
1. Personalized Shopping Experiences
Personalization is still one of the reigning trends for converting today’s shoppers. Marketing automation tools help to increase personalization by providing valuable insight on past consumer behavior, purchase history and more.
Users can tag customers based on past behavior, then present them with a more personalized shopping experience each time they visit the site. This may come in the form of product recommendations, offering “order again” options or special offers based on customer data.
As consumers come to expect around-the-clock customer service, a growing number of eCommerce companies are turning to chatbots. AI technology is improving at a rapid rate, making chatbots an affordable and efficient option for reducing customer service costs and improving the customer experience.
Insider Intelligence estimates that consumer spending via chatbots will reach $142 billion worldwide by 2024 — an exponential increase from $2.8 billion in 2019. Chatbots allow consumers to get an instant response, find answers to questions and resolve complaints quickly, making them more likely to convert.
3. Abandoned Cart Emails
The average documented cart abandonment rate sits at about 70% for eCommerce companies, meaning more than two-thirds of consumers never complete the online checkout process. In isolation, this is a discouraging statistic. Marketing automation can drastically improve these numbers.
Marketers can boost conversions by targeting users who have abandoned their cart elsewhere on the internet, from email to banner ads and social media. In fact, abandoned cart emails are proven to reduce cart abandonment by up to 6.5% and increase sales by up to nearly 20%.
Here are a few tips on writing abandoned cart emails that convert:
- Send emails within the first hour of cart abandonment.
- Remind the customer of the product they have left behind, but be brief.
- Consider adding extra incentives (like a discount or free shipping) to drive action.
4. Split Testing
Rather than haphazardly designing your website or sending emails, automation tools make it easy to be intentional about marketing decisions and see tangible results.
Split testing can show marketers important email statistics like open rates and click-through rates. But it can also be used to optimize UX design, offering the potential to increase conversion rates by an astounding 400%.
After conducting thorough split testing, marketers can see where users are stalling in the conversion funnel. It can help optimize ROI from existing traffic and improve the overall customer journey.
5. Segmented Email Lists
Consumers respond well to email marketing because it is convenient and customer-centric. But as email volume continues to increase, it is important for eCommerce brands to stay ahead of the curve.
Segmented email lists help brands create a more personalized email experience by categorizing customers based on their preferences and previous actions. This allows marketers to create highly targeted marketing campaigns that convert.
Build Your Automated Marketing Strategy with Air360
It is time to cut through the noise and complexity of endless data. Start converting more visitors with Air360, a streamlined, intuitive user experience analytics and CRO platform.
No need for a developer to make the most of important data — Air360 offers tools that turn your analytics into actionable insights, including:
- Smart funnels
- Session replays
- On-page analytics
From L’Oréal Paris to Club Med, we’ve helped successful brands achieve even greater results. Schedule a demo today to learn how Air360 can transform your eCommerce marketing strategy and increase conversions.